Original topic:

Wifi speeds with Gigabit connection

(Topic created on: 10-01-2020 09:15 AM)
Fatwa
Active Level 9
Options
Galaxy Note
Just curious if anyone out there has a Gigabit connection, and what your speeds are?

Im getting around 400 down and 300 up, on a Bell HomeHub3000 around five feet or so.

Wondering how much faster if I installed a Wifi6 router.

0 Likes
9 Comments
Galaxy Note
I think WiFi6 router has faster Wireless connection. I saw some youtubers did the test. It can up to 800Mbps. But don't invest on WiFi6 yet. Recently, there is a new standard, WiFi6e. New chipset for router and device. Seems to be faster than WiFi6.
Fatwa
Active Level 9
Galaxy Note
itll likely take a couple years before 6e is stable, plus somewhat affordable.

The standard Wifi6 has been out a year or so, and the prices are coming down.

Im also interested in the alleged improvements of how Wifi6 better handles backhaul in homes with multiple devices (I currently run about 35).

If I could also get the benefit (60% improvement) on the speed of my Wifi6 devices, than worth it for me to make the jump today.
0 Likes
Galaxy Note
Yeah, that's true. Youtube has a lot of WiFi6 testing, take a look and see if the speed satisfy your needs or not. 😄
Vic20
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
I have WiFi6 router and this is my result with Bell speed test. Mind you I also have other devices connected and running background file sharing. I also run mixed mode.

My desktop wired getting around 500-600Mb down and 600-700Mb up.
0 Likes
Fatwa
Active Level 9
Galaxy Note
Funny you share that, is that the speedtest from your wired ethernet? im having a problem getting good speeds via wired. In most cases im pulling higher speeds via WIFI as opposed to a fixed ethernet connection.

I have an open ticket with Bell on this. I am pulling slow download via ethernet (200 to 300). We should be at getting at least 70% or more... or... 700 to 800 down. The upload speeds are in the correct tolerance but the download is unacceptable.

Seeing that you have a wifi6 router, i assume you are connecting to HomeHub via Pppoe. I notice when I try to use my google external router, and run a speed test from that router, that I lose about half the bandwidth (500/500). That **bleep**, so I removed the google router and am just working off the HomeHub.

I think the only way to get full service with a 3rd party router is to remove the HomeHub from the system, and use a media converter for the fiber line to the 3rd party router.

Thus far it seems Bell Gigabit service is a lot of smoke and mirrors. Via ethernet you should be able to pull at least 700 or 800 downspeed.

Aside from Bells internal modem speedtest, I cant any device to pull a speed even close to advertised.
0 Likes
Galaxy Note
😲 Oh Wow. Nice.
0 Likes
CynicalJerk84
Active Level 8
Galaxy Note
I get these on my downstairs extension. wireless speed here is not bad at all. they are much faster next to the modem.
Vic20
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
I'm connected via Auto IP and not pppoe to the Homehub 3000. My router is Asus RT-AX58U dual band running Merlin asus-WRT firmware. I disabled WPS and WiFi on the Homehub and have a Rogers home security router hooked up to the modem as well.

I'm pulling around 500-600Mb down on average wired. Usually around 100-300Mb wireless with the other devices. Running mixed AX, AC and N modes. I have 3 AX devices, 2 AC devices and the rest are N. Utilizing both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. I do get quite a bit of channel interference as well in the neighbourhood. I have channels static and set (not auto).
Fatwa
Active Level 9
Galaxy Note
yeah id be unhappy with that... specifically losing half of my paid bandwidth in exchange for using a 3rd party router. This is why im suggest we should boot the HH3000 from the ecosystem.

You can buy this to convert your fiber line to ethernet>and hook your 3rd party router directly to the line in>put your home hub in on the storage shelf and now your router has full access to the gigabit

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-MC220L-Converter-supporting-mountable/dp/B003CFATL0/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dch...
0 Likes