Original topic:

Grade 6 Forgot screen lock code - only solution from Samsung is hard reset and wipe all data!?

(Topic created on: 10-13-2021 03:59 PM)
User_DS
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S

My School child experimented with their cellphone screen lock pass code, but forgot it. We are Locked out of a cell phone with several years of photos, videos, WhatsApp and other vital content.
Despite the device being Registered much earlier on my product list on Samsung, and the device even displaying my cellphone number and email address on the cover screen (set up just in case it got lost at school) on the main screen, Samsung Reps only "Solution" for me is to ship it to the Tech Center to hard reset/wipe all the data!
Each request for help email is a separate unit. And there is no continuity as a new Rep responds with a new perspective.
A cellphone is like a PC - a big investment and stores lots of valuable data. We chose Samsung thinking our investment was safe. (No app or modern laptop forces users to "hard reset" when they lose their passwords). Their Tech help does not seem to have a back door for a verified customers safety, really strange to hear in this day and age.
For some reason, this cellphone does not show up on the Find a lost Mobile option - although my much older phones such as a Note3 and current cellphones show up along with other devices and we can have their screen lock removed easily.
I am now being asked to pay for a diagnostic fee, a shipping fee, and a processing fee - because it is over a year old and past warranty - only to have them delete all the data!! Plus, a fee if I decide not to proceed after their diagnosis and recommendation.
This is a big personal loss and a major disappointment. We have always been with Samsung, and will now need to re think our trust. Requests to escalate to senior management were refused.

4 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but things like photos may be backed up to the cloud? 

I keep mine on the external sd card, and backed up on my computer, so that's never a concern for me. 

Are you sure that you don't have these items baked up somewhere else? 

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

From the OP. 

"For some reason, this cellphone does not show up on the Find a lost Mobile option" 

Galaxy S
I missed that line. Thank you
Valeriya
Options
Galaxy S

Hi User_DS, did you back up the data to the Samsung cloud?

0 Likes