Original topic:

OS/UI updates? Don't count on Samsung

(Topic created on: 11-04-2022 06:50 AM)
btrthnvr
Active Level 8
Options
Galaxy S
Y'all never learn after so many years, huh? Samsung is no longer the smartphone standard for many years now. They have lost innovations and minor upgrades to camera or processor aren't justification to heft price increase every year. 

Instead they removed/reduced what makes smartphones great: external memory, battery capacity and headphone jack among many other things. This is coming from their loyal customer since S1.

Now y'all talking about updates? They're not fulfilling their promise and that's a fact consumer must face every year. It's going to be late, like really late. Once they got your money, that's the end of the story (sadly).

This forum is a perfect place to dig complaints about what I wrote above as well failure on product launch, promo, stock, trade-ins, etc. I dare the mods to show the comparison numbers of complaints vs positive feedbacks on new products launch from this very forum. 
18 Comments
Montreal1
Active Level 8
Galaxy S

We are with Samsung since Galaxy S4, my wife and our son had 2 IPhone in the past and they switch to Samsung and will never go back to it because of their complexity. Yes they took away the SSD slot and headphone jack, but Iphone did the same. What do you need a SSD of 250gig when the flagship of Samsung can have up to 1tb of storage. By the way, Iphone may remove their «lightning port» to replace it by wireless charging only, because of the new law in Europe. And did you know that the S22 Ultra is the #1 smartphone in the world in 2022 . I know many people that they switched to Iphone in the past months and know they want to sell it or exchange it for a Samsung.

RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Actually, Apple is going to be changing their lightning port to USB Type C to comply with regulations in the EU

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/oct/26/iphone-usb-c-lightning-connectors-apple-eu-rules

The External sd card slot is NOT just about Storage, it's about being able to backup to the sd card using Smart Switch & it's faster and more secure than Cloud Storage, as well as the ease of setting up a new device from the Smart Switch sd card backup. AND as long as there's a physical SIM slot, there's no ip rating that would necessitate the removal of the sd card slot.

Sure you can use Bluetooth Earbuds / Headphones, but some purists much prefer to use wired as opposed to wireless.

Samsung ridiculed Apple for having to use dongles for them.

Removable battery, sure, it would be nice to have user replaced batteries, instead of paying a service center for changing these, but I can see that io rating may have something to do with this.

Notification LED, WHAT reason?

Almost everyone is using a 3rd party app for notifications now..

Charging Blocks, for "environmental reasons", give me a break.. it's about money & because Apple did it.

Samsung was going to dump millions of Note 7 devices into the Pacific.. for environmental reasons?

When is the last time that Samsung ADDED a hardware feature?

Screenshot_20221104_064438.jpg

Montreal1
Active Level 8
Galaxy S

Hi RedDogRabbit

You should listen to this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdgRUCVUts0

RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

The presenter is quite good 👍🏻

Yeah maybe Apple and Samsung are probably planning on going to wireless charging, I hope not, as pretty much everything that I've read about wireless charging, is that:

• It's slower, but that could be improved. 
  • It's harder on the battery's life. 
  • It's easier to find a USB cable when you're "out & about", if you need a quick charge. 

I guess we'll see what happens. I don't know how much any of the OEMs actually listen to the consumer, but I hope that it won't just be corporate ego that drives development. 

JohnH
Active Level 9
Galaxy S
You've been a Samsung customer since the S1, so you know **bleep** well that Samsung has gotten miles better with their updates. I've been a Galaxy user since the S5, and major Android updates were usually launched around March. I'm not sure how many of yall remember this, but years ago myself and many others in this forum had to wait until June for our old Galaxy S7's to get Android Oreo. That was back when Samsung phones also got only 2 major updates. Now we are promised 4.

I get that delayed updates are disappointing, but please spare us the drama. Last year the S21 got Android 12 December 6th in Canada. Samsung Canada is planning on releasing Android 13 for the Galaxy S22 a month sooner than that.
Montreal1
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
And for some people, any reason are good to complain. Like if they run out of gaz it's the car manufacturer's faut.
Have a nice week-end .
JohnH
Active Level 9
Galaxy S
Yup. Some complaints are valid, but whenever I see people complain about updates I get so frustrated. Every year Samsung gives us updates a month sooner than the last, yet people still complain. Enjoy your weekend as well!
AdornsLife
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
It really depends who you're talking to nowadays. I love my A53 5G and all the Samsung acount features that come with it.
Geico
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
You should say Samsung Canada, not Samsung mobile itself. They have definitely changed for the better with software, like we no longer just get 2 major updates or whatever number it was. We get 4 major updates now.
0 Likes