Original topic:

Temporary Phone Number

(Topic created on: 12-23-2022 06:03 AM)
jcoldwell
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S
I bought 2 phones for myself and my wife. Both phones are Samsung S22 Ultra. We changed providers and brought over our phone numbers from the old carrier. The portal worked perfectly but here is the issue.

When I call/text my wife (number that she has always had) there is no issue, but when she texts me, her temporary phone number replies back.

How can I fix this issue? I have shut down her phone removed the sim card and started the phone back up, I deleted her contact information and I get the same result. 

Can someone explain what is going on and how to fix said issue?

Thank you.

0 Likes
9 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

First tho, and just a couple of sips of coffee

Contact your Carrier to fix the issue with your phone numbers.

Sounds like the temporary number / transfer of numbers isn't completed properly.

Really don't think that it's a Samsung issue at all, but 100% Carrier issue. 

BloodWolfe
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Exactly what RedDogRabbit said, this is definitely a carrier issue and not Samsung.

The numbers are controlled by the carrier and the phone reads this from the Sim card (or eSim), so 100% a carrier issue.
jcoldwell
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
Thanks for the feedback but I have already done that. The transfer is 100% complete. I contacted both my old carrier and new carrier.

I did some further searches and found out more.

When I call her, text her, using her phone number it works. I call the temp number and it says it is no longer in use.

When I look at the phone details, which shows the phone number, serial number and such, the phone number is correct.

The only issue is when she sends a text, the temp number is displayed.

I also read that if I went into settings under messages, that I could delete the temp number and put in the right number, but I have not figured out how to do that.

Any more ideas.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

When your wife sends you a text, the temporary number is displayed on her device, or yours?

Open Contacts on BOTH devices & delete the contact with the incorrect number. 

Verify that the contact information is displaying ONLY the correct information, name & numbers.

It almost sounds like the contact information may be the problem, but if it's not the issue, then it can only be a Carrier issue, as the devices are "du*mb" in that they can only send & receive what the network provides.

BUT double check the information for your contacts. 

jcoldwell
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
The number displayed under her contact is her original number, we both deleted the contact and sent a text and it shows the original number, then when I go and add that number, using her name, and then she sends another text, the temp numbers shows up again.

Does that make sense
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

It might if you & your wife's information is saved to the SIM. 

Go to Contacts & click on the 3 Dot Menu middle left & Check to see where the contact information for you & your wife's information is saved.

Is it a Google account, SAVED to SIM or Samsung account?

BUT it's still a Carrier issue. 

Can't remember if you said you checked the phone number in About Phone, but check it if you haven't yet. 

Is the correct number there? 

Screenshot_20221223_100507.jpg

Screenshot_20221223_095636.jpg

Screenshot_20221223_100131.jpg

Nylah
Options
Galaxy S

Hi jcoldwell, could you please tell us that issue is resolved as suggested the above steps by the RedDogRabbit, kindly confirm us.

0 Likes
jcoldwell
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
I checked every thing I can check and it says her actual number. It is just when she texts that it comes back as her temp number
0 Likes
Nylah
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, we suggest you to check with your carrier as they have control over it.

0 Likes