Original topic:

Samsung Trade Ins

(Topic created on: 08-19-2017 10:06 AM)
Jonathan34
Expert Level 1
Options
Others
Samsung Canada should off better trade ins for upgrading to new flagship devices. I checked their site for quotes on my Galaxy S8+ in mint condition and it valued at $350...I mean an S8 or S8+ in mint condition should maintain a greater value at least 75% of its cost at this point especially when the devices are released only 4 months apart.

Also given the delay in it's biggest feature there should be a much greater trade in option for the S8 and S8+. The device is still a great piece of tech nonetheless and the fact that to Samsung it's value depreciated that heavily after only 4 months is nuts.

I feel that if Samsung Canada wants a greater adoption of their flagship phones they should offer better upgradability options or at least financing so that you can pay off newer devices over a few months. I believe they offer similar options in the States. Which is another thing Samsung needs and that is consistency across it's market, we should all be valued the same as well all pay the same heavy costs and in some neglected markets we pay even more.
11 Comments
Echo1
Expert Level 4
Others
I don't know what it is, wether you trade in with Samsung direct or your carrier the money they offer is just stupid...
Where is the incentive to get the newer phone??? as @Jonathan rightly points out to offer $350 for a phone that is just 4 months old and at the time was over $1000 to buy is just a slap in the face in my opinion..
I have said this before Samsung and more so Samsung Canada really needs to look after their loyal customers both in the service side and maybe having a loyalty programs for customers who have spent $1000's on their devices and would like the latest device that Samsung has to offer.....
Jonathan34
Expert Level 1
Others
Yeah it really is a slap in the face. A 65% depreciation value over 4 months? it's insane. a loyalty program would be great. They know these phones come out in quick succession so why wouldn't it be in their best interest to work on loyalty upgrade programs?
Alain47
Active Level 7
Others
They don't give a dam about loyal customers they just want your money they will not tell the hole truth to sell you a phone for a 1000$.
If you think that Samsung is perfect like we said in french TU TE METS LE DOIGT DANS L'OEIL.
0 Likes
Jmak
Active Level 10
Others
For new phones, Kijiji is the best option for selling. I didn't read your post correctly before. I thought you were selling your s8+ for 350. I was about to ask you if it was gone.
0 Likes
Jonathan34
Expert Level 1
Others
haha yeah no way and yeah that's pretty much what I'm planning to do, gotta see what the Note 8s price will be at launch and hope to be able to get a solid amount from the S8+
0 Likes
Jmak
Active Level 10
Others
No one in your family is out of contract? I would never sell my S8+. Look for someone who can swap for some cash.
0 Likes
Jonathan34
Expert Level 1
Others
Lol nope all in contract and iPhone users
0 Likes
ZenoKnite
Active Level 7
Others
Yea i have to say the trade-in deals for Samsung Canada is terrible. Also, just want to point out that i'm also jealous seeing the promos Samsung USA gets. We definitely get the shit end of the stick in comparison
Jonathan34
Expert Level 1
Others
I respect your opinions but I never once compared this to Apple. I'm comparing this to Samsung's various markets where they have offered upgrade options but not in Canada. I'm saying that Samsung should have consistency across their markets. My "suggestion" is that they should offer similar benefits. My jab at the main missing feature (which I 100% understand being a developer) isn't to state that as a flaw because you can't always expect perfection. It's to state that they should take into consideration that it's pretty much 1 of 2 main features that were the main reason for upgrading and that it should depreciate with that in consideration. Also, not everyone wants to be tied to a 2 year contract. You get shit here in Canada at just about any carrier.

And with financing option, why wouldn't they do that? at the end of the day they make the same or more money on it and they satisfy their customers.
I know that Apple offers financing on a select range of products, never looked into their phone but I'm sure they probably would offer it at the Apple store.

Also, a loyalty program isn't based on "loyal" customers, it's a program you pay into in order to have options to upgrade. And carriers do give you the ability to get a new device every 2 years so idk what that points about and a company could do the same because they would make more money on that, again you pay into a loyalty program im not suggesting a Starbucks card that you earn points on to get a free device lol

And sure maybe I'm just being a baby about the whole thing but I'm simply suggesting an option for Samsung to offer for their customers. But hey, it's your opinion and my opinion, and I'm happy to spark debates, helps flesh out the problem.
0 Likes