Original topic:

Asking for password on startup

(Topic created on: 07-24-2019 10:07 AM)
SnowCat19
Options
Galaxy S

Hey everyone,

my friend just got an S10, and they transfered over all their files and contacts. They only set up fingerprint.

His phone was restarted and now its asking for a password, however.....he did not set up a password, only the fingerprint. Is there a way to reset or....set up a password without doing a factory reset?

0 Likes
7 Comments
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Impossible. Since Oreo, to have biometrics added to Android, you MUST have a secondary passcode.

And if the person has configured Find My Device (Samsung) yes it is possible. Not sure if Google removed the feature from its own Find My Device
carr0498
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
not possible... a factory reset would be your only method. Besides that, sounds like the phone doesn't belong to your friend. you have to set a pin, pattern or passcode to set your fingerprint.
0 Likes
Galaxy S

Hey all here is an update.

So one of my friends (co-workers) had always been a true die hard apple fan, I finally convicned her to go with Android and of what course what better then the Galaxy S10 (she wasnt a fan of the pen for note series) so she got the S10 in of course Pearl White.

Her of course new to android, she let the rogers guy set everything up so what I know for sure is that guy set her password and didnt tell her, he then gave the phone back to her when it asked to register a finger print. What a guy....

So of course at this point the only option is factory reset, and of course even to restart your phone, it requires a password. I ended up doing a forced restart and then completed the factory reset and now we are in process of transferring everything back to her S10 from her iphone whatever model or year or however you describe those.....things.

Happy Wednesday Fam

****Btw I am in Toronto as of tomorrow and for the weekend, everyone from the 6ix, Hit Me Up!!

That includes you @echo1

0 Likes
Galaxy S
👍🏼 Forced the phone restart and get into recovery mode to do factory reset, this is the easiest and fastest way to gain access back to phone. No need to border that Rogers guy 😉
0 Likes
Habsfan
Expert Level 2
Galaxy S
does this have anything to do with the june security patch that shaggy posted where it locks the user out and the only way is to call samsung and they will help factory reset it

https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S/Response-from-Rogers-regarding-the-June-Security-Patch-...
Kush008
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
power button+volume down button to safe mode
0 Likes
mindl
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
sounds like they set up a power on code.
similar.... i believe that encrypts... anyway it's easy to confuse the 2. i thought i only saw that in gsi's..
0 Likes