Original topic:

Ads in Samsung apps: Samsung says, "factory reset"

(Topic created on: 02-26-2021 12:19 PM)
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy Note
We all know the banner ads in Samsung apps like Weather and Health. I submitted feedback asking Samsung to remove these banner ads. Their response? 

1) The ads are my fault and the result of third party software (despite the ads carrying the info toggle which brings up the Samsung Mobile Ads Privacy Notice).

2) That I should factory reset my device to get rid of them (what ridiculously irresponsible instruction). And yes, I have done numerous factory resets, the most recent of which after installing the OneUI 3.0 update. This is not a matter of factory resetting; it is present in brand new devices.

Note that all marketing and customization toggles are off on my device, and I have never opted in to advertising. 

Samsung, this is pathetic. I will not buy another Samsung device so long as this is the level of "care" offered to your members / customers.

14 Comments
GG2
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Note
So... did you factory reset ? 🙄.

Seriously, sometimes i wonder who puts these clueless people in the CS dept.
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
Seriously. I advocate for people contacting Samsung directly to resolve bugs and issues, but what's the point with irrelevant canned "responses" like these?
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

"Samsung is reviewing the advertisement services to provide more diverse and convenient services for our customers. Samsung is committed to providing the best possible mobile experiences and product quality continues to be one of our top priorities." - Samsung's scripted response.... 

nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
I've received that exact response in a previous complaint, ha.
Valeriya
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi, We are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. If you have performed the factory data reset of the device, it deletes all the data from the mobile and gives us a new device. As stated in the Terms of Service, we provide most features of these apps free. To keep these features free, Samsung may show ads or promotions provided by users or third parties. Terms of Service found here: Members: https://account.samsung.com/membership/terms/termscontents ADVERTISEMENTS | We provide most features of our Services for free. To keep these features free, we may show you ads or promotions provided by us or third parties while you use our Services.

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

No observations regarding Samsung's support suggesting he factory reset his phone.. to get rid of the Ads??

The Samsung Support Chat guy, Daniel, who suggested a factory reset, should either be fired or given a job where he has no contact with the public! 

nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note

What a tone-deaf response. Not even an apology for telling someone to factory reset when it is completely unnecessary? Wow.

Quote: "As stated in the Terms of Service, we provide most features of these apps free. To keep these features free, Samsung may show ads or promotions provided by users or third parties."

Right. Who cares about the $1,000+ people paid for the device in the first place? Need to generate that revenue to keep providing such a great service as tapping into The Weather Channel's API. 

I would be less irritated if you'd said nothing instead of replying with this ignorant comment, Valeriya.

TBone
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
the problem is samsung as a company. samsung doesn't care about it customers, samsung only cares about money and profits. samsung makes "the same" devices with different components. still exynos to this day with the 2100 still isn't as good as the SD version. but they sell these inferior exynos versions and say they are the same products. 🤷🏻♂️ also samsung customer service is an abomination. also the ads in every single samsung service is just a cash grab. samsung says it's to keep the services free. samsung already sells our data. 🤷🏻♂️ it's just greed.
Galaxy Note
***Shake heads*** Oh my gosh.