Original topic:

using Note 10 spen with Note 8

(Topic created on: 01-25-2020 07:47 AM)
vitruvius
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy Note
Anyone have any experience using a Note 10 spen on a Note 8? 

I've read it fits the Note 8, and that it charges when inserted in the Note 10, so not sure that will happen with the Note 8.  Will it stop working if it doesn't get charged when inserted?
0 Likes
13 Comments
Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

When you touch a capacitive screen with your finger, it alters the electrical properties of the charged screen in that spot, registering your touch. Styluses are still usable on capacitive screens, but they must be made of a conductive material to transmit the electrical field necessary to register the contact.

So, it should continue to works for regulars things like cut/paste, copy, scolling etc etc ...battery is for Air Command actions like taking a picture 15 feets away and things like that so this will not work

Read more about it there : https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-does-a-stylus-pen-work
S-pen regular action
0 Likes
Vic20
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
S Pen will 'work' but not perfectly. You won't get 100% functionality using Note 10 S Pen with Note 8 and vice versa. Note 10 S Pen has additional hardware not present in the Note 8 S Pen. Note 8 also lacks the features/firmware/drivers to work with the Note 10 S Pen. Note 10 S Pen will just function like a normal S Pen lacking the added functions and hardware.
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Your N10 S-Pen will work like a N8 S-Pen. The N8 has nothing to charge an S-Pen or even support for wireless S-Pens (the first phone with such feature is the Note9), just something to detect there's one inside the phone.
0 Likes
Vic20
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
Under NO circumstances should you put the S Pen in the phone it is NOT designed for. The S Pens are actually physically different as well. I just got a hold of my old Note 8 from my sister. The Pen will slide in the phone. But it can and will get pushed further into the housing to the point where the release button will recede deeper into the phone. The same thing when sticking the Note 8 S Pen into the Note 10+. I would NOT recommend it.
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Forgot about the physical aspect. Thanks for reminding me. Yeah it's a dumb thing to do anyway. You won't benefit from N10 features but you'll pay a higher price.
0 Likes
vitruvius
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note
Thing is, Samsung has stopped making the Note 8 spen, only 2 years after the Note 8's release . . . bravo Samsung, way to secure customers for your new phones.
0 Likes
Vic20
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
ouch. If that's the case, you can use the Note 10 S Pen. Unfortunately, would strongly advise against storing it in the phone.
0 Likes
Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

You can find S-Pen replacement for Note8 on Amazon

After vitruvius comment, don't buy the following S-Pen

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/S-Pen-rechange-pour-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B074WCWDDB/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_fr_CA=%C...

But reviews are better on this one , score is 4.5/5 ... Eaglestar products   :

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/Eaglestar-remplacement-Pointeur-Samsung-rechange/dp/B07BFXBRJ4/ref=sr_1_1...

0 Likes
vitruvius
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note
Does not seem like an OEM Samsung spen, several bad reviews, non-replacable tip, etc.
Why is Samsung not making and selling the original???
0 Likes