Original topic:

ANOTHER UPDATE?? And the GHOST NOTIFICATION is back? WHY?

(Topic created on: 12-21-2020 03:20 AM)
lemmal
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S

For the last year I have battled this obnoxious ghost notification. I have scoured the numerous forums looking for a solution to no end. Contrary to many recommendations from the moderators HERE, It is NOT from a third party app. I have blocked notifications from ALL apps, and STILL the notification goes off randomly and it is LOUD! I have downloaded notification trackers to find the notification to no avail. I have turned off Bixby and location and NFC... no change. I have wiped the cache. Literally nothing got rid of it. Then... after the update before the one I just got two days ago, it FINALLY went away!

Hooray!!!!

THEN.. I got another update... really much too short of a period in between updates... like maybe less than a month. And even though I have the automatic updates turned off, and have attempted to block the notification of the update I cannot... and even when I say, REMIND ME LATER, it pops up again the next time I start doing something on my phone.

What is MOST disruptive however is that it will pop up in the middle of me writing a text and before I can even tell it is open, I have hit the “accept update” button because it just HAPPENS to be in the exact same spot as the letter I was typing in my text!! And I am then POWERLESS to stop it!!

so in the middle of a critical negotiation, my phone just shuts down and is no longer accessible for a good 15 minutes....YUP!!. LOST THAT CUSTOMER!!

And NOW, the ghost notification is BACK. But this time it’s not just a random “ding” sound... no... now it is a 30 second portion of some song that sounds like a Disney movie soundtrack complete with animal snorts and African dance music.

WHAT.THE.**bleep**???

I have NOT installed any new apps... the same apps that were on the phone before are still there if they were not made obsolete by the update.

So WHAT IS CAUSING THIS GHOST NOTIFICATION BECAUSE I HAVE HAD IT!!!

And the sneaky updates too!!! Updates should NOT be allowed to automatically install or sneakily pop up so that the user will inevitably approve them by inadvertently hitting the “install” button. That is just disingenuous and disrespectful.

I’ve been a Samsung phone owner for probably close to 25 years... and I am just about ready to dump it. I am literally furious about the way the update pops up and manages to get you to accidentally accept it... this is NOT the first time that has happened, but this is the first time I lost a customer as a result.

(the last time I just happened to be lost in the middle of the desert in the middle of the night and was trying to use my maps app and was entering a location and AS I WAS TYPING THAT LOCATION, the install update notification popped up and before it was even fully open, I had ACCIDENTALLY hit the accept button! I was then stuck sitting on the side of the road, in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere while the phone updated!!!!!!)

5 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Sounds very strange, also sounds like you should factory reset your phone, & you probably should back it up first. 

Alex3748
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
I kept getting random vibrations and factory reseting my phone fixed that. you should try to factory reset
0 Likes
mytech
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
1st to turn off updates do this

go under settings and search "software update" then select the result and turn off auto update on WiFi.
-next go into settings /about phone, tap software info, tap on build number 7 times to unlock developer options. Close all windows, now open settings again and at the bottom you will have developer options, tap on that, toggle off "auto update system". ✌️

You can try the goodlock app with notistar and see what's giving you the notifications 🤷

As mentioned, you can backup up with smartswitch and /or the cloud then factory reset, then be mindful of what you install afterwords🤙
keagan
Options
Galaxy S

Hi lemmal, Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I suggest you please reach out to live chat support for remote assistance by using the link below and they will help you with the issue. www.samsung.com/ca/livechat

0 Likes
msmarple13
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
omg I am also receiving ghost notifications, its driving me nuts like yourself I have tried everything to stop it but it keeps doing it, it began a couple of days ago, I'm getting really peed off. what is going on
0 Likes