Original topic:

Camera Failed After Android Update for S20 Ultra

(Topic created on: 12-22-2022 06:29 AM)
j_louise
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
I have a Samsung s20 ultra purchased in 2020. I installed the android update on Wednesday and my camera will not work since then (warning: camera failed msg when I open app). 

so far I have
reset camera app
cleared camera cache and data
hard reboot of phone
Cleared cache partition 
factory reset phone

the camera fails in all, including safe mode before and after factory reset

Please provide a fix for this. I purchased this phone specifically for the camera. A link to roll back the update would be great.

Thanks

0 Likes
20 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Screenshot_20221219_155003.jpg

Screenshot_20221219_155012.jpg

Screenshot_20221219_155020.jpg

Not only does Samsung's Camera work on my S20 Ultra One UI V5.0, but Gcam & Samsung's Raw Cameras are also working perfectly for me. 

Since you said that you have tried all the things that I would try.. Open the Samsung Members app & Click on Support > Diagnostics > View Tests and run the Diagnostics for the Camera. See if you get any error messages for the Camera.

There's no "fix" as you requested required, as there's no issues with the One UI V5.0 update. 

You could always try to Factory Reset again, but don't Restore ANYTHING at least initially, and test the Camera again. 

Last resort is to visit a Samsung Service Centre.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/service-center/

Helenna
Options
Galaxy S

Hi j_louise, we are sorry to hear about your issue after the update.

We request you to refer the following guide in the given link to troubleshoot the issue and check if your issue is solved.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/how-to-troubleshoot-camera-app-errors/

Even after performing the above steps you still face the same issue, please perform backup and factory reset by following the steps in the given links.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/how-to-transfer-and-backup-data-using-smart-switch...

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/galaxy-phone-perform-a-factory-reset/

As, suggested by RedDogRabbit the last option is to visit the Samsung authorized service center by following the link given above.

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Don't think that a link (isn't one) to roll back the update would fix what may be a hardware issue with the Camera. 

If you really want to do it:

• download Samsung's correct firmware for your device to your computer.
  • Download & install Samsung's USB Drivers to your computer. 
  • Download & install Odin v3.14.4 to your computer.
  • Extract the tar files from the Firmware. 
  • Insert the BL - CP - AP & CSC tar files into the correct slot. 
  • Boot your device into Download Mode. 
  • Wait until the devices "see" each other. 
  • Click Start in Odin & Wait for the Green "Pass".

But I really think it would be a waste of time & not going to fix your Camera. Not too mention losing the benefits of the update to One UI V5.0. 

j_louise
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Yes my partner has discussed that option with me. Thank you though
0 Likes
j_louise
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
I've done that, twice, and there's errors with front and back. I can't find any other explanation about why a camera would be working., put the phone down for the software install and have it immediately not working after restarting after the install (I checked)

I tested it after factory reset before restoring and it failed.

Are you a Samsung representative? If so, I've seen more than one post around the web and on this forum about the same thing, so it's not a one-off problem.

Although I have basic knowledge of the phone functions I'm fortunate enough to have a software engineer assisting me in this.

Thanks for your help
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

There really isn't any inherent issue with the Camera on the S20 Ultra. 

Virtually all of the "fixes", are the same ones that you have already tried. 

The Diagnostics available in the Samsung Members app are really the only user method to determine if there's a hardware issue with the Camera. 

Things like "Resetting the Camera's Settings", Wipe Cache & Data for the Camera, and Factory Reset, are also the only user fixes available to users. 

I've had my S20 Ultra for about 2 & a half years, and never had any issues with the built-in Camera, Gcam or now Samsung's RAW Camera.

There's nothing in the One UI V5.0 update that breaks the Camera on the S20 Ultra.

I'm inclined to think that there's a hardware issue with your device's Camera, certainly based on your having done a Factory Reset already. 

So:

• Run the Diagnostics on the Samsung Members app & see if you get any error messages. 
  • If you don't get any error messages, Factory Reset again. 
  • Still have issues with the Camera.. It's not a Software issue, it's a hardware issue. 
  • Visit a Samsung Service Centre. 
hadenough
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
This truly is annoying..Samsung does an update and then takes zero responsibility for fixing anything and suggests the same fixes you can find from 2019 on their website which is you read didn't help people. Actually considering iPhone after this.At least they have technicians that help and you can bring your device in.. get your **bleep** together.. nothing like going into the holidays with no camera on your phone..I applaud you Sansung of being just as bad as the rest.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

What device do you have? 

If it's the S20 Ultra (What the OP was posting about), there is no need for any "fix", or for Samsung to take responsibility for any firmware issues regarding the Camera, because there is nothing wrong with the Camera on the S20 Ultra.

If you have another device, then maybe make your own post about it. 

BTW, threats or promises of switching to Apple, are pointless, and for a couple of reasons. 

• Samsung doesn't care if you buy an iPhone 
  • Visit an Apple community, and you'll see just as many issues, and unhappy people there. 
0 Likes
hadenough
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
Sorry but you must be an IT person. Not like I'm creating these issues and spending random time on reporting them and trying to get them fixed. Really don't have spare time to do that. But I do love your word threat. If there are enough complaints, maybe they will do something like the 2 updates in a few weeks span. I guess they just did that for the fun of it, not because of complaints. But of course this is coming from a person who is "threatening" and according to you making these issues up. 🙄 but thank you for your helpful suggestions.
0 Likes