Original topic:

My files app permissions

(Topic created on: 10-13-2021 04:48 AM)
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Options
Galaxy A
I looked at another Samsung device and it has My files app with no telephone permissions and running Version 11.1.00.111.

My phone Android 11 phone running Android security patch level August 1 2021 is running Version 12.2.03.361 Version of My files, the same version currently running in Galaxy store as today's date Oct 12,2021.

Why is there another Version of My files app with different version and why does My phone have telephone permissions on My files?

12 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

Don't think that you'll ever get a rational answer from Samsung about this. 

AGAIN, there's no legitimate reason for My Files to require Telephone permissions. 

Samsung just wants you to go away & forget about it. 

What the most likely outcome is, Samsung will quietly remove the permission & just not say anything about it, or they will continue to ignore the question. 

Georgine
Options
Galaxy A

Hi, what is the model number of the device?

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

I believe that they have the A50. 

0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
I don't remember the exact model. Is there Samsung devices using different version of My app ?
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

Settings > About Phone is where you can find the model number of your device.

If it's the Canadian A50, it should be:

SM-A505W

The version of My Files should be the same for all devices, the only exceptions might be, if there are devices running an older, or newer version of Android, where the version of My Files that you have, might not be compatible with. 

SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
The phone I compared is not my phone. I only compared the My files app which had a version that foamy have v telephone permission
0 Likes
Georgine
Options
Galaxy A

Hi, we will review it and get back to you with the information.

0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
It been more than a month and Samsung has not responded on their own app.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

Hasn't it been more like 3 months, since you first posted about telephone permission for My Files? 

But as I've said before, there is no legitimate reason a file browser needs to require telephone permission. I also believe that I said that Samsung can't give you reason, they're hoping you forget about it, or just go away. 

https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-a/my-files-preinstalled-problem/td-p/12032846