Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

Android Update and carriers

(Topic created on: 02-20-2020 11:21 AM)
Tallman
Options
Galaxy Note
Previous post from other members said why the Feb update for Note is not out yet. This post make me think of Why Android update needs to go through each carriers? I understand that if someone buy a phone from Rogers, the update will go through Rogers since there are some software have been hard coded in their Rogers firmware.

So, how about many of us purchase the phone directly from Samsung? No hidden software, phones are unlocked, nothing from carriers. Why we still need to go through carriers waiting game on updates?

What about iProducts? They use carriers service too, but the update is directly from Apple and no delay. So, what is the problem with Android? Can we get update directly from Samsung if we purchase directly from Samsung?

Anyone know why?

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Galaxy Note
I believe that it's because as soon as you insert your Carrier's SIM into your device - That's when the "magic" happens.

View solution in context

Solution
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Exactly. Once you insert a SIM in your pristine XAC unlocked phone, it will reboot, format and apply your carrier's nice... "additions"

View solution in context

Solution
Jeremie
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi Tallman,

Yes, whenever you insert the SIM card the device gets locked to the carrier and the security updates for the devices are rolled by the carrier. Please check with your respective carrier once to know when the update would be available for the device.

Cheers,

Jeremie

View solution in context

Solution
vape
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
It's because apple is a locked down os and Android is open source. It's day and night when you get down to the bottom of it.

Android: Google - phone manufacturers - carries - people

Apple: your not aloud to touch anything or make it better or worse.

Both have advantages and disadvantages.

View solution in context

30 Comments
vape
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
Your phone is unlocked if you buy it from carrier or Samsung. Its just bloat they add if you get it from a carrier.

To answer your question, once you register your phone to a network aka putting in a Sim. That's where your phone gets it updates from.
Galaxy Note
not with iOS though, and what bloatware do they add, there is nothing visible, beside the carrier name
Galaxy Note
Yes, that's what I am not understand. iPhone use the same SIM card like us, but their phones are not get the updates from carriers.
theonecid
Expert Level 2
Galaxy Note
Works differently between Samsung and Apple. Apple are like the only ones that bypass the carriers and send directly.
Solution
vape
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
It's because apple is a locked down os and Android is open source. It's day and night when you get down to the bottom of it.

Android: Google - phone manufacturers - carries - people

Apple: your not aloud to touch anything or make it better or worse.

Both have advantages and disadvantages.
Galaxy Note
That's what I was guessing too as Android is open source and Apple is closed like a castle.
Solution
Galaxy Note
I believe that it's because as soon as you insert your Carrier's SIM into your device - That's when the "magic" happens.
Solution
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Exactly. Once you insert a SIM in your pristine XAC unlocked phone, it will reboot, format and apply your carrier's nice... "additions"
Galaxy Note
But why the iPhone will not restricted by carriers? They also using the same SIM card that we are using?